Monday, March 16, 2009

Albertson's Doubler Coupons from Sunday's Paper

For those of you who get the Sunday paper, look for the Albertson's coupon doublers in the paper. Not in the coupons packets, but in the main paper section - it's a 1 page ad that has a few items on sale as well as 3 coupon doubler coupons good until tomorrow. These coupons can be used to double other manufacturers coupons (up to and including $1) for additional savings. That means you can get up to $3 back per transaction (if you double 3 $1 coupons using the 3 coupon doublers).

Just a couple of things to note. The coupons do say a limit of 4 per family per shopping trip. I think this is their way of limiting how many transactions you can do at once. They're getting smart in knowing that us couponers get multiple papers and hence can have many sets of doublers. Here's what I've read on the forums as far as how things are working with these doublers:

1. The limit of 4 is actually a typo - it was supposed to say a limit of 3 - hence the reason there are only 3 in each copy of the paper.
2. Since there was a typo, most stores (notice I said most) are allowing you to do two transactions and use 3 doublers in each transaction, so a total of 6 all together. They actually have this programmed in from corporate, so if you think you're going to be sneaky and go in multiple times, think again. As far as I've heard, the doublers will only work twice per Preferred Savings Card - after that it will beep and there's no way to override it.
3. Notice that there is a number at the bottom of each coupon - 1, 2, and 3. They will only accept one of each number per transaction - i.e. they won't accept two #1's and a #3 - so keep track and don't get them mixed up if you have multiple sets.
4. They won't let you double a coupon and make the item free or have an overage. That's what we've been told, but I've heard of people who have done it. I would think that as long as you have other items to soak up the overage, you'll probably be ok. But keep this in mind - some stores are very picky and will actually look to be sure you aren't getting an overage.

I think that's it. Personally, I try to abide by all the rules that I read and hear of. To me, $3 isn't worth my integrity, but that's just my personal feelings. I went to my local Albertson's today and was able to do two transactions and double 3 coupons in each. There were a lot of things on sale that are not even listed in the ad, so it might be wise to take your coupons with you when you go, if they're portable. Also, a lot of the items in the ad are now even better when you double their corresponding coupons. Here's what I got (sorry, I forgot to take a picture, so I hope that's ok):

Items Purchased:
3 Purex Laundry Detergent
4 Danimals Smoothie Kids Drinks (6 pk)
2 Santitas Tortilla Chips (couldn't pass up the good deal)

Total Spent: $9.80
Total Saved: $28.33


Again, these coupon doublers expire tomorrow, 3/17/09 so don't miss the expiration date. Happy Shopping!

No comments: