Thursday, June 11, 2009

Good Deals for the Week and My Shopping Purchase!

Week 6/10/09 - 6/16/09

Albertson's:
PYP LINK
- In-ad coupon: Save $1 when you spend $10 or more on fresh produce. Limit 1 coupon per customer, per transaction. Great deals on cherries, roma tomatoes, potatoes, and yellow onions.
- Coke 2-liter promo: Buy 3, get $1 off instantly. Buy 6, get $2 off. Buy 9, get $3 off.
- General Mills promo: Save $10 on your NEXT shopping trip when you spend $25 or more on participating items. A lot of great deals on participating items (a lot of 4 and 5 stars). Keep in mind that the wording says "when you spend $25 or more," which means that if you want to do multiples of $25, you should split it into different transaction in order to get the $10 catalina each time. Otherwise, if you have 1 transaction above $25 (no matter the final total) you will only receive 1 $10 catalina. There are no restrictions on rolling the catalinas (i.e. using the first $10 catalina you receive on the next purchase and so on). Most stores are enforcing the 3 transaction at a time rule, so please be considerate and only do 3 at a time, most stores will just make you get back in line, but some are making you go out to the car, it just depends.
- Olay promo: Buy $15 in any combination of Pantene, Secret, Olay, Cover Girl, or Natural instincts, and receive a FREE Olay Complete Ageless Skin Renewing Lotion by mail. A few ok deals on the participating products, but unless you are a devoted user of only Olay Complete Ageless Skin Renewing Lotion, I don't think it's that great of a deal, just my opinion.

Smith's:
PYP/GS LINK
- Dannon Activia and DanActive Yogurt
- Mountain Dairy Gallon Milk
- Pepsi 2-liter Promo: Buy 4 get 2 free
- Lysol Household Cleaners 50% off plus there are coupons in the SS packets from 4/26 and 6/7 - makes for some great deals!

Associated Food Stores:
PYP/GS LINK
- Good deals on milk, eggs, Shasta Soda Pop, Yoplait Yogurt, and Cantaloupe

Walgreen's:
GS LINK
- Good deals on Mars Candy Bars, Reynolds Wrap Foil, and Banana Boat Skin Protection
- Laundry Promo: Buy 3 participating items and get a check out voucher for $5 off your next shopping order. Limit 1 card per transaction.
- Dove Promo: Buy 8 participating items and get a check out voucher for $10 off your next shopping order. Limit 1 card per transaction.

My Shopping Purchases:

Albertson's:

None


Smith's:

None

You're saying to yourself what???? Well, there are some really great deals this week, but I'm stocked enough on my 3 months supply that I actually don't need any of them. And let me tell you that it feels GREAT! To actually be able to pass up great deals because I have plenty is a place I've wanted to be for a long time and I'm just now getting to that point and I love it. It's taken me almost a year, but it was worth all of the work. Now, I will admit that there is a rumor that Albertson's doublers are coming out in the paper on Sunday and that just might be enough to tempt me to go to Albertson's and pick up a few things. But as of right now, I'm not planning on it.

Now, just because I didn't go to Albertson's or Smith's doesn't mean I didn't go anywhere this week - you knew it didn't you? Well, I've had a lot of people ask me if I even bother to shop at Walmart anymore now that I do most of my shopping at the other stores. The answer is yes, but not as often. There are still things that my family likes from Walmart that I still buy there (syrup and freezer fries are just two examples) and of course you can't buy clothes or other things like that at the other stores, so yes, I do still go to Walmart.

And to be honest, there are some things that are priced better at Walmart than the sale+promo price at some of the other stores, so you can actually get a slightly better deal there. My thought on that is that those things are few and far between, so I don't worry too much about them. But when I am at Walmart (during one of my every other month stops to stock up on syrup and freezer fries - imagine the looks I get for buying only 5 bottles of syrup and 6 bags of fries), I will peruse the aisles here and there taking in the prices on certain things I typically buy. Of course this all depends on the amount of time I have and whether I'm there with my children or not. But it helps me stay grounded on their prices in general so that I know when things when things are cheaper and when they are not. In general, most things are better priced at the other stores if you wait for a sale+promo and use your coupons.

For those of you who are busy and don't have a ton of time to comparison shop, there's a PYP thread dedicated just to deals people get at Walmart using their coupons (here's the LINK). I will usually check this thread often so that if I do see a good deal, I can take advantage of it. The good news is that since Walmart doesn't run weekly ads, there's usually not a hurry to get there within the week and I can just pick it up the next time I'm there.

Since I didn't do any Albertson's or Smith's shopping this week, I decided it was about time for a trip to Walmart to pick up a few things I've been wanting to get plus a few things I needed. So here's what I got:



Items Purchased:
- 5 pkgs Chinet Plates ($2.66 - $2 coupon = $.66 each)
- 2 bottles A1 sauce ($2.98 - $2 coupon = $.98 each)
- 2 bottles Nalley Pickles ($1.62 - $1 coupon = $.62 each)
- 2 pkgs Dental floss picks ($1 - $1 coupon = free)
- 10 pk hangers ($1.17)
- 1 refill bottle of Tilex ($4.52 - cried when I couldn't find a coupon - I hate paying full price!)
- Great Value Seasoned Salt ($1.78)
- Great Value Paprika ($1.48)
- 4 pk Flood lights (not pictured - $12.97)

Total Paid = $31.08
Total Saved = $18.00


Considering it cost me ~$22 for the stuff without coupons (flood lights, spices, tilex, and hangers), that means I spent less than $10 on the plates, A1, pickles, and dental floss.

So if you're asking how I knew about the prices on these items so I knew to use my coupons there instead of elsewhere, the answer is most of them I saw on the PYP thread (LINK) and the rest I heard on blogs or from my Mom, who is better at keeping up with the Walmart prices than I am. I just keep a little list of the items and coupons (with expiration date) and when I'm getting ready to head to Walmart, I look over my list and take all the appropriate stuff with me to pick it up. Hope that makes sense!

2 comments:

Jense Family said...

I hope you don't mind I came acrossed your blog through a friend and I have a question. How do I get the olay mail in rebate for the free olay? Thanks
Brandy

Hawks Family said...

Welcome Brandy! I read somewhere that someone got the mail in Oil of Olay rebate form from the cashier at the store - something about her having a tear pad in her drawer. That's the only thing I've heard. If you can, check out the PYP forum for this weeks Albertson's sale, page #27, post #262. I would contact the store where you purchased your items and ask them about it, it seems most people are getting their name and number taken and the store is supposed to get back to them.