I've had quite a few people ask me how I actually use these steps, so I'm going to run you through how I do it. Of course, your preferences may be a lot different, so don't think this is the only way to do things. But for those of you just starting out, it gives you a place to start and tailor it to you. Here's how I basically do it:
1. I look through the ads to see what's on sale and note a few things that I think I might want to pick up. I like to see the pictures since sometimes it's hard to guess what the websites listed.
2. I take a good look at the Pinching Your Pennies or Grocery Smarts websites to see if the items I'm interested in are good deals and if there are any others that I might want to consider (remember a 4 or 5 star rating means a good deal and it's worthy of stocking up on). I go back and forth between these lists and the ads sometimes to make sure I have the correct item and that it's something I need.
3. I make my lists of the things I want to get based on the ratings, what I need, and what I want to stock up on.
4. Using the coupon column from both websites, I get all of my coupons clipped and ready - either internet or those from the newspapers. Since I keep all of my newspaper coupons in my filing box, the coupon column lists right where to go to get the coupons - quick and easy to find and clip.
5. Once I get everything set, I head off to the store. If you have your list ready and your coupons clipped and ready to go, it goes pretty quick. Make sure to bring your ad with you or pick one up as you go into the store. Every once in a while the items don't ring up right and you have to have the cashier adjust it for you. It's a lot easier if you have the ad right with you to show them. This is also useful if there are a lot of different sizes of that item, the ad usually tells you which size is on sale. Some of the stores are a bit slow in getting the items marked on the shelf, so having the ad with you also helps out with getting the right one.
6. This is the best part - you come home and celebrate based on the amount of money you saved! If you're like me, you put all your food out on the counter, turn to your husband and ask: "Just guess how much I paid for all of this?" To which he will probably guess wrong and then you can tell him how much you really paid and he'll (hopefully) be as excited as you on the amount of money you were able to save.
Again, this is just my way of doing it. If you find something that works for you, then by all means go with it! The point is to stick with the 3 main steps I listed in the last few posts:
1. Watching for sales
2. Using coupons
3. Stocking up
It may take you a few times of doing it to really get the hang of it and get into a rhythm. But once you do, then you're set to save! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions to any of the stuff I've posted about recently (either by comment or email). I know it can be kind of confusing at first and I'll do my best to help you have the most enjoyable experience.
In the next couple posts, I'm going to give you a heads up on some of the good deals out there, some recent purchases of mine and others, and also some tips and tricks that make the process go more smoothly.
In the meantime: HAPPY SHOPPING!
Albertson's - sale good 1/7 - 1/13
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment